Hello. I want to talk to you for the next few moments on good news.
When I look at the newspaper, listen to the radio, or watch the TV newscast, I am reminded that most of the news we receive is bad news:
- The recent spike in positive cases for the Delta variant
- The increase in natural disasters that we hear about day after day after day
- The mass shooting, the killings, the murders on our city streets
- Just yesterday, I received news of a colleague who lost his life along with his wife in a devastating house fire.
- The collapse of a condo in Miami, Florida where 97 victims died.
And the list goes on and on and on. It’s enough to take your breath away.
We prefer good news! A few weeks ago, I received some good news. My eldest son shared with me and his mother that he and his girlfriend are getting married this coming November. This was good news indeed!
The essence of Paul’s letter to the Romans was news that was truly good—Paul brought the good news that, in Christ:
- Sin can be forgiven.
- Selfishness and greed can be overcome.
- Guilt can be removed.
- Anxiety can be alleviated.
- We can have hope and peace through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Doctor Luke said in the second chapter: But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid, I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people.” -Luke 2:10 (NIV)
Jesus said, “I must proclaim the good news of the kingdom of God to the other towns also, because that is why I was sent.” -
What is good news?
- Good news is: “But God commendeth His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.” -Romans 5:8 (KJV)
- Good news is: “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believe in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life.” -John 3:16 (NKJV)
- Good news is: “Now this is eternal life: that they know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom You have sent.” -John 17:3 (NIV)
- Good news is: “Whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life.” -John 4:14 (NIV)
- Good news is: “Therefore he is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them.” -Hebrews 7:25 (NIV)
The good news is good news of a person: Jesus of Nazareth, who walked on this earth to offer an alternative to humanity, devoid of real hope and peace, who brings reconciliation between sinful man and a loving, gracious and forgiving heavenly Father.
Jesus said, “The spirit of the Lord is upon me, Because He has anointed me To preach the gospel to the poor.” -Luke 4:18a (NKJV)
He is the gift of God. The Bible says, “The wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Jesus Christ our Lord.” -Romans 6:23 (NKJV)
Ephesians says, “For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: not of works, lest any man should boast.” -Ephesians 2:8 (KJV)
Yes, what the world needs today is good news—and that good news is Jesus.